Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Edited 1/31/13 -- These socks are no longer with me. They went through the laundry in a pair of jeans and they're not the same. The wonderful cables just don't show up now that they've been felted. They were my all-time favorite knit socks, so maybe it's time to think about knitting another pair!

This post is linked to Show us Your Socks at Patchwork Times.




These are neat. They've got a fancy looking cable on the top of the foot. They only took two skeins of Knitpicks Wool of the Andes. The pattern is an internet freebie. And because they're worsted weight on size 6 needles, they knit up faster than you'd think a pair of size ten socks possibly could.

Socks knit in this gauge might not be suited for long term wear, but I but they'll be just great for keeping my toes warm when I'm knitting on the couch at 2am. And fun to knit beats practical every time as far as I'm concerned. I'm going to do more of these with different stitch patterns on the tops. There's another free sock pattern at d-made -- Rapunzel Socks, which I'm determined to make as soon as I get my hands on the right shade of yellow wool. I've got two skeins of Highland Wool in a gorgeous blue green heathered color and a book full of stitch patterns...

This could become a whole new obsession if I had more wool and wasn't on that stupid yarn diet, which I've broken too many times to even think about another yarn order anytime soon.

blog 027


And I discovered the Garterlac Dischloth. It's a fun project -- and a lot easier than I thought it would be -- but it's not a ballband warshrag. I don't think I can knit one of these with kids climbing on me, but I said that about the ballband cloth, and by the second one I could do it without the pattern. Maybe I'll get that way with the Garterlac cloth if I knit enough of 'em. Bet they'll make good hospital knitting...

3 comments:

Terri H. said...

Life after the Ballband? I hardly thought it possible...but this is so cool (nice socks, too)!

Granny said...

I'm so sorry your socks were ruined. I try to remember to take mine off and throw them in the "sock bucket". Once I accidentally left them with the jeans and they got washed but thank goodness, it was Opal superwash and they were fine. Your story will reinforce my desire to be careful with my socks.

Maggie said...

Those socks were so beautiful, sorry they got felted in the wash.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails