Monday, March 19, 2007

When I was working on Besotted, a friend helpfully tried to show me how to cable without a cable needle. It didn't work. The cable did cross, but it was going the wrong direction, and I couldn't handle the idea of knitting the fourth and fifth stitches on my left needle and then somehow knitting the first and second ones. I still can't handle that idea. Maybe someday, but it's going to take something really special to motivate me. I made it through Besotted and a lot of other projects just fine using cable needles and dpns and seaming pins.

But the patterns kept warning me that I really should learn to do it without a needle. And I'd ignore the warning or give up the idea of knitting that particular pattern.

Ester sort of snuck up on me. I got the narrow portion of the back done before it really sunk in how many cable crossings there are actually going to be in it. And then the rows got a lot longer and I decided it was time to take drastic measures.

Did you know that there's more than one way to cable without a cable needle? I think I came across three methods before finding one that didn't make me whimper in fear. I did a little experimenting, a lot of tinking, and quite a few rows later, I'm convinced that it was time to learn this particular bit of knitting magic.

esterribs


I can't even tell where I switched methods.

3 comments:

Pat said...

I am ABLE to cable without a needle - and it has come in handy when I'm out and about with my knitting and don't have one available...BUT...it is still easier and quicker for me to use my trusty cable needle!

Rachel said...

That's a really cool cable design. What is your project?

Unknown said...

The cables, the color and all those beautiful stitches, lovely, just lovely.

I can do cables without a cable holder but I agree with Pat that given the option, I will use the needle.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails