Sunday, April 25, 2010

Remember the picture book Old Hat New Hat? A little bear goes into a hat shop and tries on everything they have to offer,then leaves at the end wearing the battered hat he came in with because the new hats were "too lumpy, too bumpy, too spotty, too stripey..." I loved that book as a kid.

My blue and yellow string quilt has me just as discombobulated as that poor bear was over his hat choices. The blocks have been sitting ever since I finished them. They started out as twenty smaller blocks, but they weren't big enough for a baby quilt and I didn't have enough blue and yellow strings to make more blocks. So I decided to set them with muslin blocks with some sort of applique. I found a cat in one of my quilting books, got the pattern enlarged to the right size for my blocks, then let the whole thing sit while I worked on other projects.

Tonight, I decided to make the first cat block. I'm not sure I like it.

So I laid the blocks out with blue fabric



and yellow fabric



and muslin



and then I went back to the cat block



Maybe I should just take the big blocks apart and put them back into the too-small version and add a wide border?

6 comments:

Helen in the UK said...

I really like the yellow alternate blocks if that helps any :)

Pattilou said...

I've learned through lots of "should I do this or should I do that" that the outcome when finished always looks like it should have been the only choice. But then I see another quilters choice with a totally different outcome and voila--a whole new look. I like either the yellow or the blue! It'll be a fun quilt when finished. Just have fun with it and throw caution to the wind and go with your gut--or your heart--or just start sewing! It'll be great!

Pat from Florida said...

I prefer the blue, but they are flowers so if it's going to a baby boy, no. Then I'd use the yellow. I think it looks planned that way.

Lourdes said...

I vote for the yellow blocks with your strips. It just looks warm and inviting to snuggle up to.

QuilterLaura said...

I would have to say the yellow is best. It's a simpler fabric and that lets the string blocks really sparkle.

June D said...

I like all your choices - but am leaning toward either the blue with a yellow border or the yellow with a blue border. These are my favorite colors!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails