Saturday, September 01, 2012

utility quilts

I'm a huge fan of utility quilts, but I've got slightly mixed feelings about this one. If you've been reading my blog for long, you'll know that I certainly didn't make it myself. This isn't my style of quilt. It's so far from my style of quilt that I'm not even sure why I bought it at a yard sale two summers ago.



It came from the same gal who sold me my instant thread stash, and was her first finished quilt. She was selling it for a dollar, with the idea that someone would reuse the fabric for something else. I think that's what my original plan for it was.

But it's turned out to be a great utility quilt for hauling down to the river. The high loft batting cushions us from the rocks slightly better than beach towels would. (I had a chair last year -- don't ask what my sons did to it.)

This is what I had planned for my first attempt at a string quilt, if I'd ever made more than four blocks. It's what I will do with that quilt when I finally get around to fonishing it. After I work my way through Bonnie's string book.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Utility quilts are good. Funny how it is easier to make someone else's discards serve that function than our own (discards). I would say you are getting your dollar out of it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails