Thursday, March 20, 2014

Still there!

Do you ever go back to the thrift store, hoping that by some miracle you'll be able to pick up something you saw but didn't buy the previous week? I'm avoiding Value Village as long as I can because that steamer trunk is still haunting me. When we went down the following week, it was still in the front window and had been marked down to sixty dollars.  Sometimes resisting temptation is really, really hard -- but I managed!

Things are never there on the return trip. Last weekend, I think we set a record for going back and finding that thing you should've bought in the first place.

Back when we were first married, or maybe a bit before that, Hubby and I were exploring a junk store on the way to the coast. I can date that trip to a pretty narrow window because he bought a can of  paint for his Dodge Charger. What kind of weird quirk is it to stumble across the exact factory color that matches your twenty year old car,  especially when it's a single can of paint that's just sitting there?

I'd completely forgotten about the paint. What I didn't forget were the new old stock dresses. I didn't want one at the time, but I knew in the back of my mind that they were something neat. I've thought of them quite a few times over the years, still not wanting one for myself, but hoping that they'd been found and bought by someone who'd appreciate them.

Saturday I bought one for my teenage daughter, which has to be one of my weirdest junk shopping stories ever. They'd been moved from a back corner of the hardware building up into the front of the store and the price had been raised considerably over what it was in the very early 1990s, but they're the same dresses. (Yes, I asked!)


This has led to discussions about what "No-Iron" actually means. Ever tried to get creases out of a jumper that's been folded in its original packaging for forty years? That was a new challenge.

This post is linked to Vintage Thingie Thursday, Thriftasaurus, Share Your Cup, Ivy and Elephants, We Call it Olde, Savvy Southern Style, Thrifter Maker Fixer.

6 comments:

Jessica Hadden said...

Sweet vintage find! Happy pressing!

Sarah ~ Magnolias Attic said...

How neat to stumble on the paint! And the dresses! They should have given you the 1990s price since you were a return customer LOL! The dresses look cute though -- hope you were able to get those pesky wrinkles out!

LV said...

Loved hearing your take it or leave it stories.

Coloradolady said...

In all of my shopping, I never find old/new stock. great finds!! I would have snatched them up too. Happy VTT

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, those dresses are a great find! I've never found anything like that. Yeah, I can imagine getting the fold lines out could be a real challenge, lol. Thank you so much for joining the History & Home link party this week, I hope you'll join again on Tuesday! -Dawn @ We Call It Junkin.com

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Great find on the dresses! I passed up three items three different times only to regret it. Called or went back and all three were gone. Darn, somebody has the same taste as me. lol! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails