Tuesday, July 01, 2014

Vintage Barbie Love

I love Barbie. Although when I hear her name, I don't think of whatever current version Mattel is selling, I think of this one -- 


She was Mom's and then I got to play with her, but I think she was always still Mom's. Until now. Now she's mine and my kids aren't getting anywhere near her.

According to Vintage Barbies.net, she's a Classic #4 Ponytail. My old Barbie, who I can't lay my hands on right now to take pictures of, is probably a #5 Ponytail. Which seems odd, because shouldn't my doll be much newer than my mom's?  (I know, that kind of logic doesn't hold up with a family that loves thrift stores as much as ours does!) I also had a Bubble Cut Barbie that must've come along a bit later, and a Skipper. And of course Mom's Barbie had Ken, who was carefully packed in the box with her but didn't get his picture taken.



I had to dig through my 70s era Barbie clothes to find the swimsuit, which has lost all of its stretch and has a failing seam. I need to go through and separate the really old outfits from the sort of old ones. I've seen tutorials for redoing the makeup and ponytail, but I'm not sure if I want to go down that route or not. I'd like to clean up her face a bit, and maybe put her hair back up so she loses the bald spot. But that ding in her lip has been there forever and if I fixed her she wouldn't look like our Barbie anymore.

Teenage Daughter, who has never shared my passion for Barbie, commented that this doll has nicer hair. She's also easier to dress and if her head gets pulled off, it snaps right back into place. The oldest dolls were just about indestructible. Unlike the newer ones, which are never going to be the same again after a little brother dismembers them.

Are you pro Barbie? Which decade of dolls do you remember playing with?

This post is linked to Vintage Thingie Thursday, Thriftasaurus, Share Your Cup, Ivy and Elephants, We Call it Olde, Savvy Southern Style, Thrifter Maker Fixer.

11 comments:

Terri said...

My mom told me I couldn't have one because the cost of additional clothing would be too much. That'd be sometime before 1957 because that's when we moved away to a new house. I really wanted one, and my sister bought me one in the early 2000s, but it's still on the shelf where I put her away after my sis went home. It's not the same getting it after you are 60!
Hugs

Jo said...

I had the 70's Malibu Barbie gang. I had Barbie, PJ, Skipper and Ken. Years later I found a Kristy who was the black friend. I had amazing clothes for them as my mom and sister sewed them for me. My oldest two girls loved Barbie. My youngest only liked the "Kelli" dolls...

Dora, the Quilter said...

That was also my mom's Barbie--she purchased it when they first came out and sewed Barbie clothes to sell. It was supposed to come to me, but I'll probably never see it again.
No, I didn't play with Barbies because only my mom had one and it wasn't for play. Of course, somehow I got the message that I was supposed to look like Barbie, knew it was impossible by any standard, and had no intentions of buying one for my girls. Of course, someone else made sure my daughter received one. (I *did* by her a Mulan doll.)

Laura said...

My mother (born in 1938) didn't like dolls that look like women, so I didn't get my first and only Barbie until I was about 11. She was a living Barbie. Her wrists were jointed, and her arms could be bent at the knees and elbows. I lost interest in my Barbie shortly after I got it, and handed it down to one of my little sisters.

Cathy said...

My first barbie was a hand-me down and after looking at your guide, she was a 1962 Bubblecut. But what is strange (at least to me) she had the same bathing suit that yours has. I really didn't like her. See I was born in the '70's and didn't appreciate the "Bubblecut" look at all.

Needled Mom said...

I have three of the older Barbies - one with the string to pull where she talks. I agree that the first ones were great for limb/head loss!!!

Quilting Tangent said...

My dolls are from the 70's, had some from my older sister. One like yours. 24Tangent "at" gmail "dot" com

Michelle H said...

My mom had several of her Barbies that my sister and I played with - she had one with short, curly hair (bubblecut, I guess - I was born in '73, but loved her, too), one with long, blonde hair, two Ken dolls, two different "Francine" type,and two Skippers. I loved them and their gorgeous clothes! I had many of my own 80's versions, too. The one with the yellow dress and perm! Western Barbie, a lot, really. I used to sew some pretty intricate dresses for them, and for girls that I later babysat. My poor dad built me a wonderful dollhouse - when I was 15! He hoped to distract me from my boyfriend, haha. I didn't "play" barbies at that point, but I did love decorating the house! I loved Barbie, never developed a complex because of her. That came from humans, haha - largely the boyfriend I was supposed to be distracted from, *sigh*. (no worries, just celebrated 15 years of marriage to a different, great guy!)Now, off to look through your blog!

Jill said...

I saved my money and sent away to the Christmas catalogue for my first Barbie, That was in the mid 60's. I loved Barbie! My daughter did too and played with mone along with all she had.

I am visting from Share Your Cup, I have done a couple of blog posts as well, the most recent one in June.

Anonymous said...

That's a great vintage Barbie you have! I had mine in the 70s and a neighbor lady crocheted clothes for her. I sure wish I still had all of that stuff! Thank you for sharing this at the History & Home link party. Take care, Dawn @ We Call It Junkin.com

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

I loved Barbie when I was young. I had the short haired and Skipper too! this ones a classic! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails