Saturday, August 09, 2014

The Magic Pattern Book

I used to sew a lot of clothing, but it's something I haven't done much of lately. There was a little cotton top for my daughter a few years back and that possum costume last Halloween, but these days I'm more excited about quilts and the occasional tote bag.

Teenage Daughter, on the other hand, is starting to sew her own skirts (as long as I'm willing to put in the zipper for her!) When I got the chance to review The Magic Pattern Book: Sew 6 Patterns into 36 Different Styles! by Amy Barickman, I thought it might be a good resource for both of us.


I wasn't disappointed!  A beginner could use this book as a course in clothing construction. It includes chapters on the proper tools for each technique, charts for taking proper measurements, suggestions on how to choose fabric of different weight and prints prints, how to add extra for nap or plaids, how to repurpose fabrics for some of the projects... One cute skirt is made from two pairs of men's slacks.  There are cutting diagrams and clear and detailed assembly instructions for each pattern. The patterns themselves are on an enclosed CD.

This book is absolutely worth the purchase price. Just think of the cost of patterns these days. I'm still cringing at what I paid for the pattern I used as a base for that possum costume. Sure, the ones at Joann's go on sale on a fairly regular basis, but sometimes the timing isn't right. This book has six different patterns, a tank top, skirt, dress, cardigan, coat, and accessory, with six variations of each. There are suggestions for further customizing them with different fabrics and prints.

Disclosure -- I received an electronic advance review copy from the publisher, but I think I'll be buying this one as soon as it's available in print.



2 comments:

Carol Swift said...

Sounds like a great book...I'll have to check it out! I don't sew a lot of clothes these days, but when I do those patterns are so expensive.

DeAnna said...

Oh I'll have to look for this book. Cool idea. And you'r right, even with the standard 40% of at JoAnn's or Hobby Lobby patterns are still above $10 each.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails