Monday, January 05, 2015

A New Project for the New Year

Quite a few years ago, I fell in love with a spool quilt and started setting aside fabrics for it. They were all tiny dots, or tiny things that were close to dots. I don't know why I never made more than four blocks.


Then, a few years later, Bonnie Hunter posted her Spoolin' Around Leader/Ender Challenge. I was still making Cheddar Bowties, but I pulled out my original spools. In my memory, they were a reasonable size, not these huge 6 1/2" blocks. I told myself that I needed to finish my bowties before I started playing with spools and tucked it back away.

But now that quilt is done and I'm ready to start some new projects. I'm so much happier with the 3 1/2" blocks I started making yesterday!



Just look at the difference between these blocks. If I'd finished the original quilt it would probably be in the back of a closet, because the more quilts I make, the tinier I like my pieces. Maybe I can find that bag with the original fabrics and add those to the mix, but I'm not gong to make myself crazy looking for them. 


This post is linked to Judy at Patchwork Times.

8 comments:

Jo said...

Cuteness. I love them little too!!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I, too, prefer the tinier pieces ... as long as they're not too tiny. ha! I used 2" strips (finished at 1.5") for my grandson's log cabin and it didn't take long before I was wishing that I had used 1.5" strips.

Dar said...

Your spools are pretty. Why not take the original bigger ones and incorporate them into the backing of the smaller ones on the front. I'm all for using up 'old' blocks too. I don't like to throw anything away. lol

Chris said...

I love traditional quilts. So pretty.

Chris the Quilter said...

I think the two sizes look good together

: )

Kristie said...

Beautiful little blocks! I did the exact samething with the bow ties. I started with larger blocks and cheddar and wasn't happy with it so I put is aside. Then I started another set of bow ties that are 3" with the fabric that I love and I ended up making 1080 of them. Now I am in the process of sewing them into a completed top.
Kristie

Angie in SoCal said...

A great WIP you have going there. Still praying for Grandma - hope she is finding peace. What did the doc say about your husband foot?

Jess (a.k.a. Rosie) said...

Such a great project you've got going! I've got a spool quilt on my list of "projects to do" and will ** hopefully ** get to it soon.

~ Jess ~
Everything Is Coming Up Rosie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails