Monday, March 30, 2015

Dingbats!

I spent Saturday morning at quilt guild, learning how to make Dingbats!  The pattern is meant to be done in striped fabric, but I'm trying to stick to the fabric I already own. "Dingbat" is a printer's term, so I decided to go with this inky grey and do mine without the accent bits.  (My first choice was the same grey I used for Little Letters, but I couldn't lay my hands on it at the last minute.)



Mine didn't look anything like the others, but I like it. Once the quilt is done, I think it'll be great for the boys' room.

I've got to admit that I wouldn't have picked this pattern up on my own. Those colors and stripes aren't my style (although now that I know how this works I think there are some garish stripes in my sewing room that may become one block baby quilts.)  It looks like it has curved seams, but it doesn't...and I'm a quilter who goes out of my way to look for curves.

But I'm glad I gave it a try. I really like the way my quilt is coming out and this is such a neat technique.  If you get a change, I definitely recommend taking this class from Sam Hunter. It's all kinds of fun.

Oh, and she's got a book, Quilt Talk: Paper-Pieced Alphabet with Symbols & Numbers 12 Chatty Projects. I bought a copy and I'll be gushing about it just as soon as I get a chance.


1 comment:

Cathy said...

What a fun looking block! I really need to try to track that one down.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails