Tuesday, June 16, 2015

A Sewing Bird




This pattern is from one of the Workbasket inserts. The actual transfer is itty-bitty, only about two inches across. I made it twice the size so it would be easier to stitch, and to see in the finished quilt.

When I was little, we visited Grandma Dorothy, an older relative who lived alone in her tiny apartment full of antiques. My parents would sit and talk with her, talking about coins or stamps or genealogy. At least I think that was what it was -- I was sitting on the floor by a bookshelf, totally engrossed in an old book.

We didn't visit very often, but when we did I'd go straight for that spot. I can't tell you how badly I wanted to read the whole book, which was about a little girl being taught by the sewing bird. It was the most wonderful amazing fascinating thing. And I'm guessing now that none of the adults in my life ever had the slightest clue. (My own kids would ask me to write down the title of the book and check for a copy at the library. But I wasn't armed with their problem solving skills. I saw a crumbling old book that I knew I wouldn't be allowed to borrow and that was the end of that.)

As an adult, armed with the magic of Google, I figured out that the book of my dreams was the Mary Frances Sewing Book. I could read it for free online here, but I've never made the time.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails