Sunday, August 02, 2015

Too Many Choices? No!

Lately, I've seen quite a few discussions about how having fewer choices -- in our yarn and fabric stashes, at the grocery store, or wherever else -- is supposed to make us happier.

Um....no. I'm not happier when the grocery store limits me to three different kinds of frozen vegetables to choose from. I actually shop at four different grocery stores on a regular basis because I want more choices, not less.  (If I've got to do dishes for six people, I'm getting the brand of dish soap that I think works best. Same with a  few other things.)  Having too many choices is the least of my worries.

I'm the same way with my fabric. No way am I going to go through all of my blacks and pare them down to fewer options. It's black....or blue, pink, brown, whatever... I'm going to use it sooner or later. If I had to pare down my stash to move it into a smaller space, I would. But no way am I cutting down on my options just because someone tells me I'd be happier with fewer of them!

Now if I went up to the sewing room and sorted and got all of my blacks and pinks and browns and greens together.... THAT would probably make me a happier quilter!

Weekly Stash Report 

Fabric Used this Week: 0 yards
Fabric Used year to Date: 4 3/4 yards
Added this Week: 0 yards
Added Year to Date: 41 yards
Net Added for 2015: 36 1/4 yards

Yarn Used this Week: 400 yards
Yarn Used year to Date: 5600 yards
Yarn Added this Week: 400 yards
Yarn Added Year to Date: 7456 yards
Net Added for 2015:   1856 yards

This post is linked to Patchwork Times.

4 comments:

Carol Swift said...

More choices is definitely better! I can't imagine making a quilt that is the same colors as everyone else's quilts. No fun! :O)

Kalicocreations said...

I couldn't agree with you more! I lived through the years when there was very little choice in fabric and sometimes you could not get a color just because they did not think it was in vogue. It is much better when you can get the right color of pink, not just pink.

Bonnie said...

You hit a chord with me today about choices at grocery stores. I don't generally buy cake mixes (and yet, I don't make them from the scratch either, I must not be making any cakes or cupcakes these days.) Hubby and I hit the big, new grocery store that we like when we have a big list. Was I in shock. they had about 10 Duncan Hines cake mixes -- some interesting like spice cake or orange. And, one really WEIRD one called Blue Velvet -- what? blue cake was NOT appealing to me. Luckily I was able to find the mix I needed. Generally we shop at a pretty small store 10 minutes from home.

GIVE AWAY MY STASH? Are these people crazy? I suppose I could just to bring in newer fabrics but I would have a hard time deciding what to get rid of. I still like most of my fabrics. Sigh. My kids and a good friend are tasked with destashing my stash when I go. I must write that down somewhere but I do have a plan!

Kate said...

Didn't someone say that variety is the spice of life? I'm sure that's true for fabric. We'd make really boring quilts if we were all limited to just one or two shades of each fabric.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails