Sunday, August 21, 2016

Sharp Blades at My House

Hubby got a new knife sharpener for Christmas. He's had different knife sharpeners before -- lots of them -- but this is supposed to be the ultimate knife sharpener and do everything up to and including the blades for the lawn mower.

Lawn mower blades don't make my priority list. Kitchen knives make the list if I'm making dinner and having trouble cutting something.  What I've been wondering about is these --



Remember the scissors I let my husband use to trim the floor mats for his new truck? The plan was always to see if he could sharpen them for me. After meeting up with his new toy, they're sharp enough to cut fabric again.

I'd been wondering about that for a while. When I first started quilting, I read the advice to get cheap sewing shears with a coupon and replace them whenever they get too dull. That's what I've been doing for the past decade -- including some scissors that got switched over to paper duty a little too early and some that I tried to cut fabric with for way too long.

Now I want to find every pair of scissors in the house and have them ready and waiting for the next time Hubby pulls out his new toy.

Maybe it's time to start thinking about finding a nice pair.

Weekly Stash Report

Fabric used this week: 0 yards
Fabric used year to date: 6 1/2 yards
Fabric added this week:  0 yards
Fabric added year  to date: 18 1/4 yards (+2 sheets)
Net added for 2016: 12 3/4 yards

Yarn used this Week: 0  yards
Yarn used year to Date: 4850 yards
Yarn added this Week: 0 yards
Yarn added Year to Date: 7366 yards
Net added for 2016: 2516 yards

This post is linked to Patchwork Times.


4 comments:

Libby in TN said...

I find mid-range scissors serve me well and long if taken care of -- like no cutting wire or dropping on tile floors. I've heard mixed reviews about damage from cutting paper so I don't pay much attention to that. Of course, about all I do with scissors is snip thread so I might change my mind if I tried to cut out a dress!

Dar said...

I would like to know if that new sharpener would resharpen rotary blades. That is what I go through too quickly. Have him try some of your old ones and if it is successful, tell him you could put him in business. I'll send 20 of my old ones!! Good luck on convincing him.

VickiT said...

Sharp tools make all the difference in the world. I totally disagree with the advice you read when you first started quilting. The reason I say that however, doesn't have a thing to do with quilting, but coffee pots. Years and years ago I used to buy a well known automatic drip coffee pot. It was cheap. AND I had to replace that thing about every 6-8 months because I made a pot in the morning and again after work daily. They just weren't made to last, but more to sell lots at that low price point. I got tired of spending that much money each year having to replace them so I splurged and spent $150 of a Bunn Coffee Maker. Best thing I ever did. I'll shorten this story, but there was a problem with that one so I emailed the company, they replaced it free, including shipping and return shipping of the old one. Then that one had a recall a few years later and they sent me another new one. Awesome company. There was even a recall on the pot itself (I have the stainless steel insulated pot) and they sent me a brand new one of those even telling me to just keep the old one since it wasn't a safety issue.

So anyway, buying the best brand scissors you can has my vote every time. Add up how many pairs of the cheap ones you would buy each year IF you tossed them when they got too dull to cut your fabric well enough and bought another pair. (not counting hubby using them for home repairs LOL) And then compare that cost with spending what you would to buy a good brand just once. I just took all my scissors and knives to a local sewing machine store which does knife sharpening and spent $20 to have him sharpen them all. Heck, that low cost was worth it since I won't need to do that for another 3-4 yrs or more. I have a hand held sharpener for my knives that works well so that gets used every other time I use my knives to keep them sharp.

Yes, go buy yourself a good pair of scissors. You're worth it!

maggie fellow said...

Good scissors I had when I first started sewing are not as good as fiskars new and improved. It seems just like computers. Updates in technology, make up grades essential no matter how much they were in the first place.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails