Sunday, May 07, 2017

I Hoard Zippers

Zippers at estate sales can be almost insanely cheap. Zippers at Walmart or the craft store are expensive.  And for some reason I can't quite understand, the zippers at the actual quilt shop fall in between those two extremes....

Estate Sale Zippers

The prices you can see in that picture aren't what I paid. I watch for the sales where a whole box is going for a couple of bucks. If I had to buy a new zipper for every cute little project bag, I wouldn't be making more than one or two of them. I also wouldn't be trying new techniques that might not turn out well.

If I dig through my stash, I can probably find a zipper that's close enough to the color and style I need. The teapot project bag I made last week has a green zipper that's the same shade as some of the teapots. I figure I'm more likely to use the blue zippers in future projects than that particular shade of green.  Once I find the right color, it's easy enough to shorten the zipper to the size I need.  

Weekly Stash Report

Fabric used this week: 0 yards
Fabric used year to date: 2 yards
Fabric added this week:  0 yards
Fabric added year  to date: 5 yards
Net added for 2017: 3 yards

Yarn used this Week:  300  yards
Yarn used year to Date: 3550 yards
Yarn added this Week: 0 yards
Yarn added Year to Date: 9350 yards
Net added for 2017: 5800 yards

This post is linked to Patchwork Times.

4 comments:

Paula said...

If you ever do need to buy new zippers I recommend Zipit Zippers on Etsy. All colors and sizes for great prices.

Tami Von Zalez said...

I too pick up zippers thrifting. You can buy a handful for a dollar or two.

Shauna said...

looks like you got a good deal.

Amanda Best said...

I am always on the lookout for new zippers, at yard sales, too. I did buy a 50 pack of random colors on Amazon the other day and they were a great price and good quality, too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails