Thursday, May 18, 2017

{I've Been Reading} Uniformly Dead



Uniformly Dead by Greta McKennan is filled with interesting bits of historical detail and well-developed characters I'd love to read more about. Seamstress Daria Dembrowski is expanding her business and sewing uniforms for some local Civil War re-enactors. When one of her clients is found impaled on a bayonet in his tent,  another client's fiance is accused of the murder. The only other suspect is Daria's own brother.  Because Daria has such a detailed backstory, I thought that there might be previous books in the series, but it looks like Uniformly Dead is the first. I'll definitely be watching for the second!



Woman No. 17 by Edan Lepucki starts out with an interesting premise. Lady hires S to be nanny to her three year old son. S is immersed in an art project, trying to live the way her own mother would have, copying her clothes and what she would have done and said. (I never did figure out how that translated into art.) The characters were interesting, but from the book's description, I expected something much more awful to happen.

Disclosure -- I was provided with an advance review copies by the publishers. All opinions are my own.  

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails