Tuesday, December 12, 2017

More Changes at the Library

I'm not a big fan of change and tend  to avoid new things until they're forced on me (Except for ebooks. I can't say enough good things about those!) 

It seems like our local library is constantly making big improvements. I wasn't happy when they completely rearranged the children's section after twenty years. I knew where everything was and they moved it all. It's been a couple of years and I still can't find what we need. 

The new card catalog is an absolute nightmare. 

When this happened a few weeks back, I thought we might give up on the library entirely. How could they do this?!


They've had self checkout as an option for years and it's been awful. Now they're making all of us use it all the time. How can they do that to parents juggling multiple toddlers and fifty picture books?

I tried the new system because we had no choice and I can't believe how much better it is than the self check out, or even having the librarians do it for you. Put your card anywhere near the scanner and it pulls up your account. Put the book anywhere on the pad and it checks it out and demagnetizes the strip...most of the time. We set off alarms this week, but that happened with the old system too.

3 comments:

Libby in TN said...

Our library has optional self-check but I still go to the gal at the counter. I DO use the drive-up depository, though!

valerie boudier said...

Our library's self check out hasn't been working since the computer system was upgraded months ago. Everything has to be checked in and out by the librarians who haven't really got room to do it. It's a nightmare, as an retired librarian I'm glad I stopped working in libraries before they were all computerised

colleen said...

The 2 library's I currently visit are so very inconvenient for returning books one has terrible parking and from the closest parking if available it's a long walk past rather through a park of sorts the walk is lovely just long. The other library is up a steep hill from their parking lot.
Our library in another town has drive through drop off so convenient I bet they collect less money in fines also

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails